LINCOLN OAK TREE PROJECT: Cement, Paper, & Copper

After somehow lifting an 80 lb. bag of cement into my car (with the help of getting a second bag from Dustin DeMilio, thank you for the help I don’t think I could have lifted another one alone) brought it into my studio and casted the form for theĀ shrine portion of my piece.

2014-02-16 15.09.51

Then after careful preparation (wearing gloves & respirator), taping down the forms that would become the negative of the piece and spraying the inside of the mold with silicon, I began the mixing. Man does it take a lot of energy to mix cement, was not an easy task. After about an hour the piece was all poured into the mold that I left for a week to cure. Thankfully cement is caustic so the fact that my water to cement ratio may not have been 100% accurate did not ruin the mold.

2014-02-16 17.28.15 2014-02-16 18.38.46

Returning after a week of letting the piece sit, at first the piece did not budge but after a bit of nudging with a mallet the piece separated from the mold. The glass forms were not easy to remove and had to be smashed with a hammer. All and all casting cement was not as impossible or difficult as I thought it may be and love how the piece came out.

2014-02-23 13.00.23

2014-02-23 14.09.05

The head pieces for the dancers was tricky to conceptualize. I wanted the pieces to be light visually and physically and have a unit like multiplicity, the triangle form worked perfectly. At first I wanted to use copper, but the metal was to hard and I was worried it might hurt the dancers when then were wearing and performing with it. I decided to use vellum paper because it had a nice translucent quality but was durable when put together in units. This is one week in.

Last week I added the copper leaf to the inside of the cement bowls.

Advertisements

STUDIO: FIRST

This weekend I worked for the first time in a professional video studio. There was not too much of a difference other then I did not have to wait for the sunlight and had total control of lighting and background in post. I still shot all the footage on my Canon T2i w/ 50mm 1.4f fixed lens but because everything was controllable the shoot time went very fast and everything came together nicely. The sequential order of the images make the process look easier than it was to edit all the elements together. It was nice to experience a new way of working with video and editing, and to work with someone who is just as excited about making the ideas come to life as you are.

I’m hoping in the next couple of weeks I can shoot and edit together the transitional shots for the end of this video sequence.

Video shoot was on Saturday, Feb. 18, 2012.